Ulimaroa

 

ulimaroa-external-2007-1-we.jpgUlimaroa is a heritage listed, 19th Century Italianite building at the entrance to ANZCA.

 

The house was built in 1889-90, a time when St Kilda Road was a tree-lined boulevard dotted with large private residences. It remained a family home until 1960 and today is one of only five former stately homes remaining along St Kilda Road.

 

From the street, the building appears as an intact example of a Melbourne boom-time residence. However, substantial alterations to the interior have been made during its more than 50 years as a commercial property. Despite these changes, it remains an exquisite example of workmanship from a by-gone era and retains its listing on the Victorian Heritage Register and classification with the National Trust of Australia.

 

Ulimaroa was once thought to have been a Mãori name for Australia. In discussions between English botanist, Joseph Banks, and Mãori from Doubtless Bay in 1769, a land one month’s canoe ride away was described. Banks either incorrectly attributed the name to Australia or it was misinterpreted by John Hawkesworth in his official account of the journey in 1773. Subsequent evidence suggests the term was more likely to have referred to New Caledonia.

 

Linguists have also had difficulty with the name. There is no distinct “l” sound in Mãori language. Translation difficulties, a common problem for Europeans transcribing words with unfamiliar sounds, have been held responsible for the apparent alteration of “Rimaroa” to “Ulimaroa”.

 

The map

Ulimaroa map

 

In 1795 German cartographer, Friedrich Canzler, drew a map of the region naming Australia “Ulimaroa” and showing Tasmania connected to the mainland.

 

 

In 1995, ANZCA was gifted a “corrected” edition of Canzler’s map, drawn up in 1806, showing the separation between the two landmasses. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today

anzca-house-external-2007-3.jpg

Ulimaroa currently houses the ANZCA Library, Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History and the Fellows

room.

 

The ANZCA Library supports Fellows and trainees by providing the most up to date professional literature and clinical research material.  The Library holds over three thousand books and hundreds of medical journals specialising in anaesthesia and pain medicine, as well as acting as a portal for many online resources.

 

The Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History was founded in 1935 from the personal collection of Dr Geoffrey Kaye, one of a handful of full-time anaesthetists at that time . It has continued to grow and develop and is currently one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of its kind.

 

Ulimaroa is linked to the more modern ANZCA House via a seamless extension connecting the two buildings. The completion of ANZCA House in 2001 underscored the rapid development and expansion of the speciality of anaesthesia since first becoming a faculty of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1952 to a College in its own right in 1992. 

 

A booklet about Ulimaroa is available here.

 

Back to History and Heritage

 

 

Copyright © Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.