ANZCA's professional documents are crucial for promoting the quality and safety of patient care for those undergoing anaesthesia for surgical and other procedures.
The professional documents provide guidance to the College’s trainees and Fellows on standards of anaesthetic practice, define the College’s policies, and serve other purposes that the College deems appropriate. Professional documents are also referred to by government and other bodies, particularly with regard to accreditation of healthcare facilities.
The professional documents are regularly reviewed and amended in accordance with changes in knowledge, practice and technology. A01 Policy for the Development and Review of Professional Documents guides this process. For further information or feedback about the professional documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current ANZCA professional documents are available below. Faculty of Pain Medicine professional documents can be accessed here.
Two newly developed professional documents are now being piloted:
- PS59 Statement on Roles in Anaesthesia and Perioperative Care
- A02 Policy on Endorsement of Externally Developed Guidelines.
The following professional documents have recently been revised and are being piloted:
- PS12 Guidelines on Smoking as Related to the Perioperative Period
- PS27 Guidelines for Major Extracorporeal Perfusion
- PS28 Guidelines on Infection Control in Anaesthesia
- PS46 Guidelines on Training and Practice of Perioperative Cardiac Ultrasound in Adults
- PS52 Guidelines for Transport of Critically Ill Patients.
PS39 Minimum Standards for Intrahospital Transport of Critically Ill Patients has been withdrawn as its content has been incorporated into PS52.
PS03 Guidelines for the Management of Major Regional Analgesia has been reissued with minor amendments, following a close of pilot review. Similarly, definitive versions of PS37 Guidelines for Health Practitioners Administering Local Anaesthesia and PS53 Statement on the Handover Responsibilities of the Anaesthetist are now available.
All ANZCA professional documents can be downloaded in one zip file. Please scroll down to access this feature.
Code of professional conduct
The Code of Professional Conduct provides guidelines for the professional behaviour expected of Fellows. The code complements the College’s professional documents and emphasises that Fellows have a responsibility to honour these documents and contribute to their ongoing development and revision.
here. These three documents are relevant to Australian and New Zealand Fellows, trainees and facilities from the start of the 2013 hospital employment year and incorporate aspects of the training and educational professional documents.
The ANZCA Handbook for Training and Accreditation in the Affiliated Training Regions and the complementary regulation 38 are available here. These documents are relevant to Fellows, trainees and facilities in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore from the start of the 2013 hospital employment year and incorporate aspects of the training and educational professional documents.
The majority of the training and educational professional documents have been withdrawn. The following continue to apply on a limited basis, as noted at the outset of each document:
- TE02 Policy on Vocational Training Modules and Module Supervision
- TE08 Guidelines for the Learning Portfolio for Trainees in Anaesthesia
- TE11 Policy on the Formal Project
- TE13 Guidelines for the Provisional Fellowship Program
- A01 Policy for the Development and Review of Professional Documents
- A02 Policy on Endorsement of Externally Developed Guidelines (**PILOT**)
Download all ANZCA professional documents in one zip file here (last updated January 9, 2014).