Frequently asked questions

Click on the links below.


General enquiries 


How do I access the Training Portfolio System (TPS)?
The TPS can be accessed via:
Who has access to TPS?
All financial trainees, fellows of the college and nominated ANZCA representatives has access to  theTPS. All active ANZCA fellows have access to TPS as a work-place based assessment assessor and specialised study unit supervisor.
If you are unable to log in to the TPS, please email the college via with a screenshot of the error message
Trainees training under the 2004 curriculum or in the affiliated training regions are required to use the online in-training assessment system, which can be accessed here.
What do I need to record in the TPS?
You will need to record:

  • Time

  • Volume of practice (VOP)

  • Workplace-based assessments (WBA)

  • External course e.g. Advanced Life Support (ALS) course and scholar role activities (SRA)

  • Planning clinical placement reviews (CPR)

I do not currently have a placement on the TPS. How do I add this?
Your rotational supervisor (ROT) can assist you by adding placement information to the TPS. Alternatively, please email the college at, advising us of your placement details. 
I have completed all the training requirements of my current core unit. How does my core unit (CUR) get updated?
You will need to complete a CUR with your supervisor of training (SOT). Once your SOT has submitted the CUR in the TPS, you will need to respond. The TPS will then automatically update you to the next core unit. 


Back to top


Training time


I am unable to confirm time in the TPS. What should I do?
As an SOT, you have up to 13 weeks to confirm time recorded. For any time older than 13 weeks, please contact the college with details of the trainee and the weeks that need to be confirmed.
I have taken a period of study/ examination leave. How should I record this in the TPS?
Any time spent not in training, should be recorded as leave. This includes annual leave, bereavement leave, sick leave, parental leave, study leave, examination leave and industrial action.

I have exceeded the leave allowance for my core unit. Can I still record this as leave on the TPS?
Trainees should still record excess leave as “leave” in the TPS and have this confirmed by the SOT. Excess leave will not accrue towards the approved vocational training time. If you take more than 12 weeks continuous leave, you will need to apply for interrupted training.

Applications for interrupted training should be completed using the Interrupted training application form and submitted to the Director of Professional Affairs (DPA) Assessor via

How should I record public holidays in the TPS? 
Public holidays are not counted as leave. When a public holiday falls on a day when a trainee would normally be working, it is to count as a clinical day, whether or not the trainee was actually required to work. 
I attended a course, how should this be recorded in the TPS?
Time spent completing mandatory courses (e.g., ALS, EMAC, CICO, neonatal resuscitation) should be recorded as clinical anaesthesia time in TPS. Time taken to attend non-mandatory courses, such as exam preparation courses should be recorded as leave.
I currently have the following message on my time recording screen: “ICM has reached 11 weeks, any excess will not accrue toward your training period target. You have the option to record the time as OCT.” What does this mean?
Once you have recorded 11 weeks intensive care medicine (ICM) time, you will need to record any further time you spend in ’OCT – ICM’ as ‘(OCT) - Other approved training’. This will ensure the time will accrue towards your training.
ICM time does not require DPA assessor approval if undertaken in an intensive care unit (ICU) accredited by the College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia or New Zealand (CICM). For the ICM specialised study unit (SSU), you will have to complete a continuous period of 13 weeks of ICM which can be interrupted only by two weeks of leave.

When will my provisional fellowship training (PFT) time start accruing towards my approved vocational training?
Once you have submitted your PFT position details to the college, your PFT start date will set in the TPS.

What if I don't have an approved PFT position after completing the advanced training (AT) CUR?
After your AT CUR has been submitted, you will enter PFT Pending. You will still be able to enter time, courses, scholar role meetings, cases and procedures and WBAs, however they will not accrue towards your PFT requirements.

How much of clinical anaesthesia time (CAT) and clinical support time do I need to complete in PFT?
You are required to complete at least ten weeks of CAT time (or OCT, as approved by the DPA Assessors) and at least four weeks of clinical support time.

Back to top


Cases and procedures

How do I record volume of practice (VOP) for the resuscitation, trauma and crisis management clinical fundamental?
You will need to select “record a session” from the cases and procedures main page. Using the drop-down menu option, select ‘Trauma team member for the initial assessment and resuscitation of a multi-trauma case'.

Back to top


Initial assessment of anaesthetic competence (IAAC)

What do I need to do to complete the IAAC??
The IAAC consists of a number of WBAs and competency questions (IAACQ). Once the IAAC WBAs and questions are complete, your SOT should enter this into the TPS.  

Back to top


Workplace-based assessments (WBA)

I recorded a WBA with the wrong competency. How do I change this?
WBAs in the TPS can be edited by the WBA assessor, if the status of the assessment is “Pre-filled” or “In Progress”, the WBA assessor can edit the competency. If the WBA has been completed, the WBA assessor should contact the college with the amendment request. 

Back to top



Multi-source feedback (MsF)

How many responses do I need to receive for a MsF?
A minimum of seven responses is required for the SOT to compile the overall MsF summary.
How will non-ANZCA feedback providers be able to provide input in the MsF process?
Trainees can send requests for feedback to anyone with an email address.

Back to top


Clinical placement reviews (CPRs)


How often do I need to complete a CPR?
CPRs must be completed every 26 weeks. A planning CPR should be completed at the start of each placement and a feedback CPR is required at the end of each placement. If the placement is 26 week or more, an interim CPR should be completed at the midway through the placement.
The CPR process is further explained in section 7.3.2 of the ANZCA Handbook for Training, which is available here.
The TPS will not allow me to submit a feedback CPR. What should I do?
Firstly, you will need to check if a planning CPR has been completed in the TPS for the placement.
If no planning CPR exists for that placement, one will need to be entered before the feedback CPR can be initiated. Should you require any further assistance, please contact the college via

Back to top


Core unit reviews (CURs)


There is a message on my core unit review page indicating that AVT requirements have not been met. What does this mean?
This message is displayed on the core unit review page until you have met the requirements for that core unit. You cannot start a CUR until all requirements have been met.
What is my core unit end date?
The end date should be set to the Sunday after the last requirement for that core unit has been completed. All requirements must be recorded and confirmed on the TPS before the CUR review can be completed.
I am trying to submit a core unit review but the ‘Complete’ button is greyed out. Why is this?
The CUR can only be submitted when the trainee has met the minimum time target for that core unit. The ‘Complete’ button will remain greyed out until the minimum time target has been met. CURs cannot be submitted with a future core unit end date.  

Back to top



Specialised study units (SSUs)


I have completed all the required VOP and WBAs for a SSU. Why does specialised study unit not appear as completed?
After you have completed all VOP and WBAS for that SSU, you must complete a SSU review with your SSU supervisor. Once the completed SSU review has been confirmed by your SOT, the SSU will show as completed. 
Are there any set questions for the SSU review?
Yes, Appendix Eight of the ANZCA Handbook for Training is a list of questions available to assist SSU supervisors. SSU supervisors are welcome create their questions based on the learning outcomes from the relevant SSU. 
I am completing a placement in intensive care medicine. What do I need to do to complete this SSU?
You will need to continue to record time and CPRs like you would for any other placement. The first 11 weeks should be recorded as ‘OCT – Intensive Care Medicine’ and any additional time should be recorded as ‘OCT – Other approved training’.
As intensive care supervisors may not have access to TPS, they should submit the relevant PDF assessment forms to the college. You will need to complete:

  • CPR

  • SSU review

  • MsF summary form.

If your SOT has not already done so, the college will confirm time on receipt of the CPR.
Forms can be downloaded from our website and sent to the college via to be entered into TPS.

Back to top



I have completed a course. How does this get updated on the TPS?
You can enter course details in the TPS under ‘Courses and Events’. On presentation of a certificate confirming completion of the course, your SOT will need to confirm the entry. 

Back to top


Scholar role activities (SRAs)

More information regarding SRAs is located on the scholar role training page.

What is acceptable for the teaching a skill activity?
The aim of this SRA is to demonstrate you can teach a health-care related topic or skill to other health-care professional. This can include instructing courses such as early management of severe trauma (EMST) , advanced paediatric life support (APLS) and ALS2. Further information for Departmental scholar role tutors (DSRTs) and trainees are provided on the evaluation form and guidelines.

I have approval to undertake an option B, however I now intend to complete option A. Is it possible to change?
If you want to change your scholar role requirements from option B to option A, you need to apply to the Scholar role subcommittee for consideration.  

Nominating ANZCA representatives and assessors


We have a visiting specialist in our department who would be a suitable workplace-based assessment (WBA) assessor. Can they have access to the TPS?
All active FANZCAs and provisional fellows in Australia and New Zealand should have access to the TPS as a WBA assessor.
If the specialist is not a FANZCA, they may be nominated by the department’s SOT, to act as a WBA Assessor. Completed nomination forms can be sent to for processing.
How is a new SOT nominated? 
The head of department should email the college with the nominated SOT. The college will arrange approval with the Education Officer (EO).
 After the nomination has been approved, the college will send an SOT agreement to the new SOT. Once the signed agreement is received by the college, access to the TPS will be granted

Back to top

Copyright © Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.